California statewide law is protecting consumers
When patients have done all they can to stay within their medical network, they deserve protection from unanticipated or surprise medical bills. In 2017, California enacted a statewide surprise billing law aimed at protecting consumers while providing fair reimbursement to healthcare professionals. New reports show the law is working to protect consumers without raising costs, while increasing the breadth of health plan networks. Key lessons can be learned from the law to help inform federal action.
To download as a PDF, click here.
Additional resources on surprise bills:
- See our fact-checked arguments, separating the myths from the facts.
- See more of our fact-checked arguments and download an at-a-glance myths vs facts.
- Read more of our recommendations to address surprise bills.
- Read our full statement to the House Energy and Commerce (E&C) Health Subcommittee.
- Read more on how a payment benchmark has positive impacts for network participation.